Tuesday, April 12, 2011

An Idea

I'm not sure what prompted this, but I've decided to go on a long bike ride.

For the last couple of years, I've been riding pretty consistently, pedaling an average of 100 miles per week. In that time, my endurance and speed have steadily improved. A lightweight Specialized Roubaix certainly helped.

About a year ago I found the Adventure Cycling Association site and printed the national map of routes. The map was sitting on my desk and every once in a while I'd look it over, wondering if I'd be able to actually ride one of those edge-to-edge routes. A long rainy winter with fewer opportunities to get out and ride had me looking at that map more and more. I started reading articles about touring, the equipment needed, and the physical conditioning of long distance riders. It seemed to me that a successful tour wasn't so much about speed and strength, but rather a reliable bicycle, a reasonable steady pace, and time.

The more I thought about it, there really wasn't anything to prevent me from taking on the challenge. I've got the time, I'm in pretty good shape for 59 years of age, and know how to ride a bicycle. I just needed to decide on a route and get the gear for a long distance self-supported ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment