Sunday, May 1, 2011

Staying Connected

This blog isn't going to be very interesting if I don't keep it up on the ride. So, I need some mobile connectivity. I've got a low-end cell phone and an Apple iPad without the 3G capability. Neither is going to let me update this blog while on the road.

So I went shopping. There were two decisions to make: hardware and service provider.

Service provider: Now there are lots of services out there, but I wanted good coverage throughout the ride and in particular in the sparsely populated areas of Montana and N. Dakota. Furthermore, while this ride is going to be a long one, I didn't wnat to get have a two year contract that I really wouldn't use much after I got back. I checked out all of the big names: AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile and a number of smaller carriers. Verison clearly had the best coverage (3G), particularly in the Western states. They also have a monthly payment option.

Hardware: I need a real keyboard, but weight is a concern as well. So a laptop is not practical, but a netbook might work. Keys are a little smaller, but weight is typically under 3 pounds. With a USB modem, I'd be ready to go. Prices start at $250 for units with 8 hours of battery life. Still, that's a bunch of money and I probably wouldn't use it much aftert he trip was done. I'd prefer to use my iPad if I could get connectivity and a real keyboard.

The Solutionn: The ZAGGmate Aluminum case and keyboard solves the keyboard issue.

http://www.amazon.com/ZAGGmate-Aluminun-iPad-Bluetooth-Keybaord/dp/B004FG16MG/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1304260585&sr=1-8

The people at Verison helped me with a connectivity solution. I could use a portable hotspot ( MiFi 2200) and that would let me connect my iPad. With a $35 per month 3 GB plan, I'd be all set. Unfortunately, the MiFi220 costs about $260 at Verison. This is far too much to pay considering that I'd just use for a few months. Understanding that, the Verison rep suggested that perhaps I could find a used one. Better than that I found one (a new overstock item) on Ebay for about $80.

So, my total mobile connectivity investment is:

iPad Keyboard and Cover:     $ 90
MiFi 2200 Hotspot                $ 80
3 Mo Verison service            $105
Total                                     $275

No comments:

Post a Comment