Monday, July 11, 2011

Lime Kiln Hill - Revisited

There's nothing like the anticipation of coming home to move the pedals a little faster. Even though temperatures were in the 90's, I still managed 13.28 mph for those last 109 miles.

My route through Louisville took me up Lime Kiln Hill. This hill isn't big, by Western states standards, but it is one of the bigger and steeper ones in the area. With my friend Dave, I've probably ridden up this hill 100 times in the last couple of years. Normally it's a grind, but this time it was pure joy.



A few miles later, I was almost home when I encountered my friends and neighbors, Sue and Paula. They gave me a hearty "welcome back" but didn't let on that there was a surprise awaiting me.



I've met lots of interesting, helpful and friendly people in my 41 days of bicycle travel, but above all my experiences served to heighten the value of good friends and neighbors. It's good to be home.

I'm going to upload photos to Shutterfly in the next day or two. These will be much higher quality than what you see here. For anyone interested in the mechanicals, I'll also post the component package on my bike.

***************
For those of you who like numbers (I love numbers), here are a few:

Total miles: 3075
Average miles ridden per day: 75
100+ mile days: 6
Most miles in one day: 130
Fewest miles in one day: 20
Total crank revolutions: about 885,000*
Flats: 2
Riding days: 41
Rest days: 2

* I figured cadence of 80, 25% coasting, and average of 12.5 miles per hour.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment