Saturday, July 2, 2011

Heat, Humidity, and Headwinds

Every day brings new challenges. While it has been shorts and jersey weather for several days, it hasn't been sweating hot. Today that changed. When I stopped for a late afternoon snack, the temperature was 92 degrees and the heat index was over 100. The forecast for winds from the South at 10-20 mph was spot on. The heat, humidity, and headwinds combined to take the fun out of riding. I was frequently on the drops just to reduce the wind resistance.

Nevertheless, by 6 p.m. I had 75 miles in. I was exhausted, but pleased that I met my goal of at least 70 miles. I took frequent breaks, drank over a gallon of Powerade, and although the heat sapped my appetite, I made it a point to eat a substantial breakfast and lunch.

Tomorrow the winds are expected to be from the NW and temps should drop about 10 degrees. Goodie.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Kaukana, WI

No comments:

Post a Comment