Thursday, July 7, 2011

Route Change

It was a great day for a ride. Winds were light, temps moderate, and traffic on the roads was light. Most of the day was spent on country road A2. From Grand Haven to Benton Harbor, I had either a bike lane, wide shoulder or so little traffic I could ride on the roadway.

Blueberries and raspberries are in season and I would have liked to buy a few quarts to enjoy while traveling. Unfortunately, transporting soft fruit on a bicycle really doesn't work very well. So, I'll just have to plan on getting some pie or pancakes with fresh berries along the way.

This West side of Michigan is very pleasant to travel through. Between the beaches, the lakeside tourist communities, the aforementioned seasonal fruit, and great roads, it is ideal touring country. I wouldn't mind coming up and going through this area again, just at a slower pace.

Today's ride was uneventful, save for one interaction. I'm still asking for directions (lousy map), and I stopped a woman just getting into her car to ask for directions to Saugatauk. She was very nice and carefully explained the best route to take. Off I went. A couple of miles later, I see her just ahead of me, waving me down. She explained that she made a small mistake in her directions and wanted to correct them. How many people would do that? BTW - She works for McDonald's. I guess she really understands the concept of service. McD's is lucky to have her.

I rode 85 miles today. Total miles ridden is now up to 2750.

Tomorrow I'll cross over into Indiana. As I have explained to several people, I've decided to change my route. Instead of continuing the Northern Tier route to Bar Harbor, ME, I'm going to ride South back to Louisville, KY. The miles are piling up and while I'm sure I could finish the coast to coast ride, there's little incentive to continue East. By riding back to LVLL, I'll save an airfare and the hassle of shipping the bike. Maybe I ride the Eastern half of the Northern Tier next year.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Stevensville, MI

No comments:

Post a Comment