Thursday, June 30, 2011

Limburger Cheese

Yesterday's rest helped. I rode just over 94 miles today and even though that was 8 hours of riding time, the legs were still fairly strong at the end of the day.

Winds were from the South and my ride took me basically East. That's still a relative headwind, but manageable. After dinner in Antigo, the route turned South, but by that time the winds had diminished somewhat and I made good time over the course of about 25 miles to Tilleda.

County road D, from Bowler to Tilleda, is only about 5 miles long, but makes for a special ride. It goes through a very dense forest that seems like it is right out of a fairly tale. With pine trees providing a canopy, the road is dark, there's next to no traffic, and you wouldn't be surprised to see Henzel and Gretel wandering through the woods. It's roads like these that make me forget about the destination and just enjoy the experience.

Tilleda is an old logging town that has long since seen its better days. However the campground is very nice: right along the river, showers, and a camp store and even WiFI. I talked at length with Dennis, the property manager, and perhaps because riding gives me a perpetual appetite, the conversation turned to food. Dennis' favorite: Limburger cheese, on any kind of bread, with a slice of raw Vidalia onion on top. That's not food to make friends with, but I'm going to give it a try sometime.

Tomorrow winds are once again expected to be from the South, only stronger. Perhaps if I get myself on the road early enough, I'll be able to take advantage of some calmer conditions. I plan to be in Cedarburg late on Saturday.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Tilleda, WI

1 comment:

  1. 94 miles?!? That is amazing! Our top day is still (and likely to remain) 78. Glad you're having a great trip, and enjoy the cheese! :)

    ReplyDelete