Wednesday, June 8, 2011

86 the Potato Salad

I left Sandpoint on Sunday, expecting a short, uneventful 45 mile ride. Many riders take 1 day per week off and I figured that a half-day would be enough of a break for me.

I took my time, as the road followed the outline of Lake Pend Oreille.



I even managed to spot a group of butterflies stopped in a rest area, enjoying the warmth of the sun.



I stopped in Clark Fork at a grocery store for a late lunch. (Of course you're going to stop for a meal when the town's name includes "Fork.")

About 10 miles further down the road, I started feeling tired and decided I had made a good decision not to ride the full day. I pulled into a campsite and progressively felt worse and worse. Within an hour I knew I had eaten some tainted food; probably the potato salad. Last night was one of the most unpleasant nights I've had in years, on or off a bike.

I got up and the worst of the symptoms had passed, but I felt totally exhausted. Nevertheless, I thought I could ride at least a few miles. Twenty miles down the road, I had had enough. The map showed a campground on Bull Lake, but it was closed. I backtracked a bit, remembering a sign for another campground. Up ahead, a woman was getting her mail and I stopped to ask for directions. She did one better; she said I could camp on her property by the lake.

So that's where I am right now. I'm still somewhat weak and food is not sitting very well. I'll try to get in 40-50 miles tomorrow.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Bull Lake, MT

No comments:

Post a Comment