Sunday, June 12, 2011

Nice to Meet You, Mr. Tailwind

I'm now in the flatlands of MT. On the road at 8 a.m., I immediately began to enjoy a 15-20 mph tailwind and an overall decline in elevation. Top speed was 34 mph (downhill) and for some flat stretches, I was running 18 mph without much effort.

Here's how it looked behind me, about 25 miles East of East Glacier:



Hiway 2 parallels the rail line and though there are some dips and rises, the gradation is moderate. There's little traffic, and most of it is very bike courteous. The shoulders are very wide; in some sections 8 feet. Altogether it made for a pleasant 112 mile day.

Cold in the morning, but gradually warming, showers threatened in the early afternoon. I could see them in the distance and hoped they would move to the South.



I did get a few drops, but nothing major.

I'm camping in the Chester City Park along with 3 other cyclists, all headed West. They turned in early, giving me time reflect on the day and enjoy a Leinenkugel's and some chips before turning in as well.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Chester, MT

No comments:

Post a Comment