Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Fine Day

Yesterday started in the rain and the rain continued throughout the morning and early afternoon. At about 3 p.m., I rolled into Eureka and was ready for something with a solid roof. The one motel looked pretty shabby, but there was a B&B that was very nice. Yup, expensive, but considering that my last 3 nights camping cost me a total of $24, I figured the average would be OK.



This is the upstairs hallway of the Pruett House.

I finally had an appetite and enjoyed a 12" pizza by myself. At the pizza shop I met 91 year old Winston and we talked a bit about the economy. He said this economy was a lot like the great depression. He pointed out that while the percentage of unemployed is much lower now, the absolute numbers may be pretty close.

Joan Pruett made a great breakfast this morning and I left at about 9 a.m.


Having some nutrition makes for a much more pleasant ride. Skies were partly cloudy, but temps were cool and winds light.

A few miles into the ride I noticed some grinding noises. I pulled over and nothing was out of line, but the chain was pretty nasty. I had picked up lots of sand riding in the rain the previous day. I thorough cleaning and re-oiling cured the grinding. I should have checked the drivetrain before I left.

80 miles today and I'm at the Lake Five resort. If the weather is good tomorrow and I can find some trunks, I'm going for a swim.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment