Thursday, June 23, 2011

Minnesota - Here I Come

Once again, winds were from the North. However they are gradually swinging around to the Northwest. My 13 mile to the East to begin the day was at about 9.5 mph. Then the road turned South and it was easy to maintain a 15+ mph pace.

I decided to stop in Arthur (60 miles), rather than trying to push through another 34 miles into Fargo. This was probably a good decision. I talked to some bicyclists coming from Fargo and they reported that an overpass on Interstate 29 was shut down for repairs. I might have been able to cross it, but the recent rains have made it a mud pit.

So, tomorrow I backtrack about 4 miles and take an alternate route to Fargo and then on to Minnesota. Weather is supposed to be clear and sunny the next couple of days. That'll be a nice change.

I'm camping behind a Methodist Church. One of the people I met in Arthur suggested it would be better than the park. Pastor Miller said I could use the facilities in the church... definitely better than the park.

Respect for personal property is expected in North Dakota. The other day I was walking through a parking lot and noticed a nice Mustang convertible with the top down. I glanced at the interior and noticed the keys in the ignition. Somebody forgot them, I assumed. Then I looked in a Ford pickup parked behind it and again, the keys were in the ignition. I doubt I could ever used to walking away from my car with the keys still in the ignition.

Oops, I forgot - Here's a link to the blog for the other couple I met yesterday.

http://brucedana3.wordpress.com

Thursday Update: I'm in Fargo and got my Hotspot working again. The backtracking turned out to be a good idea. I had an easy 34 mile ride with very little traffic and a great smooth road. Minnesota is just a few miles away.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Arthur, ND

No comments:

Post a Comment