Thursday, June 2, 2011

Goat's Head

Goat's Head is a weed that produces a small, but very hard thorny seedpod that breaks off and lands on roadways in front of bicyclists. I encountered a Goat's Head today near the bottom of a long coast down from the Loup Loup pass.

Fortunately it was a slow leak and I noticed it in time to slow down and come to a safe stop. It was the back tire and I quickly found the cause of the leak, pulled the thorn and replaced the tube. Unfortunately, I didn't notice that I pinched the tube and before it was 100% inflated, it blew. No worries, I had a 2nd tube and this time I got it right. Luckily there was a bike shop just a couple miles down the road and I had one of the mechanics inspect my work. I also bought 3 new tubes.

The ride up to Loup Loup pass was much easier than yesterday's climb. However tomorrow I climb Waconda pass (3300 ft of climb), drop down 2000 feet and then climb another 3200 feet to Sherman Pass (elevation 5575 ft). After that it levels out for a while.

I'm on the East side of the Cascades and it is much drier and warmer here. Tonight I'm camping at Maggie's RV park and pottery works. Its actually quite nice.

Verizon service is spotty in this area and so I probably will not be able to post very often.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Riverside, WA

No comments:

Post a Comment