Monday, June 20, 2011

The Entrepreneurial Spirit Lives

I left Minnewauken at about 9 this morning. Overcast skies, wind from the Southeast, and a forecast of rain made my goal of another 60 miles unrealistic. I figured that some miles were better than none and so I pedaled the 21 miles to the only other town with camping/lodging on my route: Sheyenne.

I had planned to camp, but the locals told me that the public school had been converted to a motel of sorts. Sheyenne and another nearby town decided to merge enrollment and that left this modern building vacant. Some entrepreneurial folks decided to turn in it into a motel. Here's my room.. a converted classroom:


The whiteboads and blackboards and that big wall clock we all remember from our school days are here too.


Although there are 4 beds in the room, I have it to myself. There's a TV, refrigerator, and even Wi-Fi. Down the hall there's the old home ec kitchen and so I can cook too. For exercise (as if I need some), I can go shoot hoops in the gym. Price: $40.

This place is not yet listed on the Adventure Cycling Association map. So, if you want to spend the night in Sheyenne, stop at Rindy's Bar for directions. If you're just passing through, lunch is served at the Roadkill Cafe on Tues and Thurs from 11 - 2. The cafe is located inside the taxidermy shop. You can't miss it.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Sheyenne, ND

1 comment:

  1. So now we know what taxidermist do with inside stuff.Hmmmm

    ReplyDelete