Saturday, June 25, 2011

Recumbent Heaven

I got off to a late start today. Between sleeping in and having a nice conversation with Tony, I didn't get myself on the road until 10 a.m.

In Pelican Rapids, I noticed a group of bicyclists (all recumbents, 3 bikes and 2 trikes) getting ready to leave a motel and naturally I stopped to talk to them. They were from a small town outside of Wisconsin Dells and were working their way West. Those mountain passes will be slow going on recumbents.

They suggested I alter my route and take advantage of a bike path from Fergus Falls to Bowlus, a distance of about 100 miles. (Actually the path is 180+ miles, but only the first 100 miles paralleled my intended route.)



So I did and I could see why recumbent riders like it. The grade is never more than 1 or 2% and the asphalt is in great condition. There is lots of green and countless lakes on the route. Not having to check for passing cars or stay on the shoulder makes for a very relaxed ride and gives you the opportunity to really enjoy the scenery. (See CentralLakesTrail.com for the complete route.)

This evening I had dinner at nearby restaurant and struck up a conversation with Jay. Jay was in town with his daughter to visit the local university, where his daughter hopes to study French. Jay also told me that he had suffered a stroke at the age of 38 and spent the last several years working to recovery his physical and speech capabilities. When I told him I was on a long distance bike tour, he mentioned that he'd like to complete a bike tour from Duluth to the Twin Cities; sort of a bucket-list item. I suggested a recumbent trike, as I had seen earlier in the day, might be the way to achieve his goal. I hope he goes for it; it would be a great way to confirm his recovery.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Alexandria, MN

No comments:

Post a Comment