Wednesday, June 15, 2011

From Sunburn to Shivers

For the last two days I've been riding through the flatlands of central and Eastern Montana. The wind has been consistently from the West and so my pace has been fairly brisk. Today I averaged over 15 mph for the 85 miles. I've stopped several times to reapply sunscreen and riding in just shorts and a jersey has been a nice change from the "bundle up" that I've been wearing.

With the tailwind and late sunset, I could have ridden further today, but Nashua was the last camp site for 50 miles and I didn't think I had the legs for that much more. In addition, just as I pulled into Nashua, the sky darkened and the temperature must have dropped 15 degrees.



So, I decided to camp on the grounds next to the civic center. There's a pavilion, restrooms and a shower... and no cost. People here, (and on the whole trip,) have been very friendly and helpful. They suggested that if the weather gets real bad, I can just move my sleeping bag into the building that houses the restrooms. In fact, I'm in the building as I type this.

I'm going to be on Hiway 2 for several days. It's a good road, if somewhat boring.


Montana is getting more rain than usual. In fact, they are already at their annual average. What looks like a lake in the photo above is actually just standing water from the rains.

Cross-country bike touring is no big deal here. When I tell people where I've been and where I'm going, it doesn't get much of a reaction. Of course not everyone tours on bikes. I met these two fellows who were driving from Minnesota to Alaska in their Model A's. They seemed like a modern day "Laurel and Hardy."



Eastern Montana and North Dakota are experiencing an oil boom and motel rooms and campsites are said to be at a premium. I'm anticipating some long rides the next couple of days, in an effort to bypass most of the high priced lodging. I hope the weather warms and clears. We'll see...

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Nashua, MT

No comments:

Post a Comment