Friday, June 17, 2011

The Wind in My Face

I didn't make it to Minot today. In fact, I rode just 32 miles. I started at 8 a.m. with rain and a brisk breeze coming out of the Southeast. The rain stopped after about an hour, but the wind picked up to 20-25 mph.

Normally I ride about 15 miles and take a 5 minute water break and then at 30 miles get something to eat. Today my first break was at 10 miles and then I took another short break every 3-4 miles thereafter. My average was just 8 mph and it was a miserable ride. I never got cold or really wet, but the wind was just beating me up and by the time I got to Berthold, I was ready to call it a day.

I asked where the town park was (free camping) and I was directed to an area just beyond the High School. As I passed the HS, I noticed a bunch of bikes and someone waved to me come on over. Peggy, the HS principal, said there was a local bike tour and that they were spending the night in the HS gym.

Peggy introduced me to the group leaders (having a beer at a local bar) and they said I was welcome to stay with them. So that's where I am right now: camping in the HS gym.

The ride is called Bike the Border and it is held every year, the 3rd weekend in June. Here's a link to their site:

http://biketheborder.com/

I mentioned that I needed a new tire. It turns out that the guy who runs the best bike shop in Minot was supporting Bike the Border. He had a full truck of supplies and $72 later I had a new rear tire, 2 new tubes and a couple of minor adjustments.

So even with the wind, it was a pretty good day.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Berthold, ND

No comments:

Post a Comment